Friday, November 6, 2009

Thanksgiving Traditions

See Kellys Korner for more Thanksgiving recipies and traditions.
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays.
I enjoy the planning and preparation, Cooking while watching the Thanksgiving parades, the house smelling like food all day, gathering of family and friends, and of course everyone eating and enjoying themselves. There were at least 4 courses, starting with the soup, antipasto, main course & desert.

When my mother had her Thanksgivings there were 6 courses. Her Thanksgiving started with 1st course, soup, either pasta fazoulie or escarole and beans. Course 2, antipasti course included, meat try, assortment of chunks of cheese with black and green olives on top, deviled eggs, stuffed mushrooms, Artichokes steamed with salt pepper & garlic, roasted red pepper salad, chic peas with mint, sweet & sour meatballs. Course 3, ravioli & broshole with homemade tomato sauce. Course 4, half baked ham, fresh carrots glazed in brown sugar, honey & clove spice, sweet potato bake. Course 5, the main course consisted of, turkey, mashed potatoes, fresh string beans, stuffing, cranberry sauce, brown gravy, and biscuits. Course 6, the desert course consisted of. Horn of plenty filled with a variety of fruit, large bowl of mixed nuts, apple pie, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, coconut custard pie, key lime pie, banana nut bread, Pumpkin loaf, pineapple & cherries, & mints.

My thanksgiving meal is not exactly the same every year. I love all the traditional foods that my mother cooked. I can’t bring myself to make everything she cooked. It was just too much food. I scaled my dinner down allot. I have decided to change out a few things every year so I am not eliminating the family favorites forever.

This is the desert table from Thanksgiving 2008.Fresh fruit, Fresh baked apple pie, chocolate cream pie, Homemade pecan pie, Honey spiced roasted nuts, Chunked pineapple topped with a Cherrie, harvest cookies with chocolate centers, mints and Apple cider.
This is a simple Italian Antapasta salad recipe.

1 can of x large black olives, drained and cut in half
1 can of artichokes, drained and cut in half
1 can of chic peas, drained.
1 cup of roasted red peppers, cut into strips.
1/2 cup fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
1/2 cup of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.

Another favorite is my Roasted Red Pepper Cheese Cake recipe on Family Heritage Cookbook.

Simple Italian Antapasta salad

Thanksgiving course 1 and 2. Pasta fazoulie, deviled eggs, roasted red pepper cheese cake with crustinis, chic pea antapasta salad, & stuffed mushrooms.

I will be posting numerous Thanksgiving recipes over the next few weeks with a complete menu.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of food! Makes me hungry. Can't wait to see the recipes and try some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh....I remember it well! Are you purposely trying to make me want to stay away from Disney so I can partake in this experience? Don't taunt me with these pictures or I just may do it!!! Wow! Such a beautiful spread of food displayed so perfectly. It's nice you try to incorporate your mother's recipes and try doing different ones each year to keep her recipes part of the tradition. I'm sure she is smiling upon you knowing how much you take care to include her in all of your special family moments. She would be very proud of you! I am hoping you put some of these recipes on the site as you create them this year. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails