Thursday, September 10, 2009

It's a great go to recipe.

I always love to participate in sharing recipes. Kelly, from Kelly's Korner is asking for great go to recipes. It quick. easy and real good. She has postponed her post until next week so I will share another recepie next week.

The story on how I came up with this recipe.

One big NO! NO! We have all heard time and time again. Never go grocery shopping when you are hungry. Well I totally ignored that rule. I was so hungry and I wanted Mexican. As I was shopping I started pulling everything I liked off the shelf and thought, this could get ugly, complicated and messy. I like my one pot meals and I try to keep it down to 10 ingredients per meal. Then I had a thought, "more like a revelation" layering everything in a pie plate. I wasn't sure how this was going to come out but I was hungry and all these ingredients sounded so good. When I got home I immediately started working on this. It took about 50 minutes to make. It came out so good, so rich in flavor. My husband loved this so much, he said, I have to put this in my Family Heritage Cookbook section so I can remember to make it again. But I have to post it in my D.I.E.T.? 15 minute meal section because it is only 9 points per serving. Now that is good Mexican.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds Chicken breast, skinless, boneless, raw,
2 cups Vidalia onion,
3 large Mission whole wheat tortillas
1 oz Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Mix
5 oz Old El Paso Mild Enchilada Sauce
1 1/2 cups salsa
1 1/2 cups Old El Paso Fat-Free Refried Beans
8 tbsp reduced-fat sour cream
1 cup diced tomatoes
3 tbsp olive oil
3 cups shredded Sargento 4 cheese Mexican

Instructions:

Chop and sautéed onions in olive oil. Clean and chop chicken into one inch chunks. Add chicken to the sautéed onions. Braise chicken. After chicken is braised add 2 cups of water and simmer on medium for 20 minutes with a lid on the pot. Chicken should fall apart at this time. If not, continue to cook in some liquid for and additional ten minutes. Continue cooking until all the liquid is gone. Add the packet of taco seasoning mix and set aside.

Put the refried beans in a bowl and add 1 cup of salsa. Mix and set aside.

Take a Pyrex pie dish and put one tortilla shell on the bottom. Cut tortilla shell to size. Layer the refried beans on the tortilla shell then add 1 cup of cheese. Cut another tortilla shell and place on top of the cheese. Top that tortilla shell with the chicken. Add the enchilada sauce and salsa on top of the chicken and 1 cup of cheese on top of the salsa. Last layer! Cut the tortilla shell to size and place on top. Put remaining onions and cheese on top of the shell. Bake on 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cut pie into 8th. Let pie cool for 15 minutes before serving and top with 1 table spoon of sour cream, salsa and fresh diced tomatoes.
serves 8
pointes per serving 9


































PhotobucketPhotobucket

2 comments:

  1. It looks so yummy! Great job on the step by step pictures!

    I also love the new look of your blog! I keep forgetting to tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks so delicious and comforting!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails